Employee Engagement can help enhance productivity of the business. This will not only help increasing organizational productivity but also individual productivity.
For any investment to be successful the most important factor is the investment made in engaging the Human Capital. What will be an organization with all the infrastructural facilities but no employees? What will happen even if the infrastructure was complete but the employees were disengaged?
In both the above cases, the organization will suffer. It might also shut down as the Human Capital fails to utilize the Financial Capital properly. Human capital i.e. employees engagement acts as a miracle for workplace challenges. It doesn’t just correlate with greater organizations, it creates great organizations.
Let us look into some factors that make employee engagement important:
- Employee engagement is the way employees feel mentally and emotionally connected with their place of work, with the organization. This connection makes them more involved in their work as they are more aware of their surroundings. They focus on the task at hand. They don’t worry about what their boss thinks about them or whether there is room for advancement. This also helps in reducing the safety incidents occurring in any organization.
- Engagement creates a healthier environment for individual employees. An engaged workplace has more respect for employees’ needs, it encourages employees to take appropriate care of their health. Policies like flexible schedules, break rooms, company-sponsored sports events, etc. motivate employees to remain healthy. These employees are less likely to be obese or suffer from a chronic disease. They tend to eat healthy food and follow a healthy lifestyle. In the long run, they provide numerous benefits to the organization.
- Highly engaged organizations have happier employees as, there is no peer pressure, termination, or any other high-stress behavior. Instead, there are one-on-one meetings, employee recognition, and 360 feedback to drive performance. The workplace is stress-free.
- An employee tends to have greater work satisfaction due to greater engagement. This work satisfaction also makes them better human beings, thus helping them to deal with issues at home in a better way. Employees are happy at work, therefore they bring that happiness into their families, generally contributing to a positive atmosphere at home. They become better companions, better fathers. They don’t complain about work to a significant other and have the energy to play with the kids after work.
- Engaged employees are invested in their job and firmly committed to their organization’s mission. They are quite punctual as they always arrive at work on time and complete their daily tasks as per the schedule given to them. Taking an occasional day off shows that they feel secure about their job and are confident that there would be no loss of work. There is lower absenteeism.
- Engagement helps the employees in utilizing their strengths, meet challenges while enjoying what they are doing. Thus these employees develop a long-term relationship with their firms.
- But as the times are changing job hopping has become a trend. Today many youngsters leave their jobs immediately if something better comes their way. But engaged employees stick around and just don’t leave the organization. . They care about the success of their organization and are thus appropriately challenged by their work.
- When an employee cares about his organization’s success, he also makes sure that the customers dealing with his organization are served well. Customer satisfaction is very important for an organization to be successful in the market. Therefore however advanced technology is employed by an organization, it is short term. Only the connection its employees make with its customers is what will count in the long run.
- People who make creative contributions to their organization do achieve excellence in their work. They are the ones who produce better quality products, and they are the ones who are engaged.
- Today for a business to stay agile and be successful, it needs to innovate. This is possible only if the managers can act as coaches, providing regular, constructive feedback to the employees.
Prioritizing consistent, real-time feedback creates challenges for the employees. These challenges helps employees to develop new and better ideas, solutions, and products—all leading to increased productivity.
There are positive factors like better customer service + better productivity + better quality. With these factors in place, organization can achieve higher profits as the sales increase and thereby increasing its market value.
So we can conclude, an organization first needs to take place for its employees.